Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Birchbox March 2014

My first Birchbox! I was so excited about subscribing to Birchbox. Now, to get excited, I had to change my way of thinking. Birchbox is a different type of subscription sample service. They are different because of their point system. Birchbox makes it so easy to accumulate points that it's obvious they want you to purchase full size products, easily for free.

I have only received one box, and have accumulated 70 points from this one box. That is the equivalent of $7 since at 100 points, you can redeem your points in the Birchbox shop for $10. Birchbox only costs $10/month AND I got the samples this month too, which are worth something.


I think that's a really decent box. Here are the details of what I received.
  1. Beauty Protector Protect and Detangle-no size
  2. Coola Tinted Matte SPF 30 for Face-.17 fl. oz
  3. Gilchrist & Soames-1.5 fl. oz
  4. Harvey Prince Cherie Blossom-no size
  5. Tea Forte minteas-1 pack
  6. Ghirardelli Cherry Tango-.375 oz
I am absolutely baffled that some of these items don't list their sizes, but honestly-it's ok. It just makes it hard for me to determine the "value" of this box. The rest the items do add up to the $10 I spent, which is completely reassuring. Here's the thing, some items I get from boxes I just put up right away, haven't even used them to date. I opened and tried every single product in this box on the spot. I was genuinely excited to try everything.

Some mentions about the products I want to make:

The Beauty Protector detangler has a heavenly smell. It smells like Pink Sugar or like cotton candy. I have thick, curly, frizzy hair so I use a detangler. This detangled didn't feel like it provided any conditioning but actually did make it easier to comb through my hair after the shower. A full-size bottle retails for $21.95 in the Birchbox Shop and is exclusive to Birchbox.

The Gilchrist & Soames body lotion mentions that it is used in hotels. I actually think that identifying with hotels is damaging to the brand. It makes me think that the lotion would be a cheap product. When I put this on my hands, after the initial soaking period-in seconds they felt incredibly silky. I was completely pleased with this lotion.

The Ghirardelli chocolate was delectable. I like dark chocolate and this dark chocolate was incredible creamy with the fruity cherry flavor and bits of almonds. This sample did not last long at all.

Beauty Protector Detangler
???
Coola Moisturizer $3.60
Gilchrist & Soames Lotion $3.00
Harvey Prince Fragrance
???
Tea Forte Minteas $3.32
Ghirardelli Chocolate $0.50
TOTAL $10.42

This is a low value box but I am still completely satisfied because I know that the Birchbox point system will make it extremely affordable, free even, to pick up full-size items that I know I want. Some people complain about picking their samples, getting items they will never use, or getting items that aren't specifically beauty oriented. For the first two complaints, Birchbox makes it super easy and worth it to cash in your points on items you know you want. For me-all the samples are pretty much extras. The last complaint-I do not understand, there are so many "beauty" boxes. I receive multiple beauty boxes. The extras are very welcome for me as a little something different.

Do you subscribe to Birchbox? Is it worth it to you? What items have you cashed in your points on? If you are thinking about subscribing to Birchbox, I would love it if you used my referral link to subscribe.

XOXO,
The Redheaded Life

1 comment:

  1. I never knew these sort of cosmetics websites existed! I am going to have to find one and subscribe to it and see what I can get. I loved your posts! Come and have a look at mine sometime :D

    ReplyDelete